Chocolate Saves Your Teeth

September 15, 2009

chocolate toothpaste

Really, the polyphenolen in cocoa inhibit the growth of bacteria responsible for the creation of plaques. Polyphenolen from cocao significantly reduce biofilm formation and acid production by these bacteria. The acid production from sucrose was significantly inhibited resulting in a reduction of localized demineralization. . Be aware that chocolate not only contains cacao but also fat and sugar each with their own effects on weight and caries.

The formation of dental plaque, which plays an important role in the development of caries and periodontal disease in humans, could be initiated by several strains of oral streptococci, a kind of bacteria.
There are two roads from carbohydrates to caries pictured in the next figure. The formation of dental plaque leads to localized demineralization due to the accumulation of acids.

caries

Chocolate contains polyphenolen The health benefits of polyphenols include antioxidant, anticancer, and anti-inflammatory effects. We previously discussed underlying mechanisms of cardioprotective properties of chocolate. But how do they protect against dental caries?

In animal research it has been shown that cocoa polyphenols inhibit the growth of bacteria responsible for the creation of plaques. Polyphenolen from cocao significantly reduce biofilm formation and acid production by these bacteria. The acid production from sucrose was significantly inhibited resulting in a reduction of localized demineralization.

This antibacterial effect of polyphenolen from coca is shared with coffee and green tea.

But hold on, these are mostly animal data, the effect of green tea is based on a larger body of evidence than coffee and cocoa. There is still a long way to go, to quote the authors of this review

The effectiveness of polyphenols from these beverages as anti-cariogenic agents needs to be confirmed by larger in vivo studies carried out on different age-groups, and in different geographical areas. Further research on anti-cariogenic activity of cocoa, coffee, and tea could open a promising avenue of applications, since they are relatively safe, have taste and odor largely appreciated and could be used at a reasonable cost in the preparation of specific anti-cariogenic remedies.

Hoping for chocolate tooth paste, and you?

Related posts on this blog on the benefits and dosage of chocolate: chocolate.

ResearchBlogging.org
Ferrazzano, G., Amato, I., Ingenito, A., De Natale, A., & Pollio, A. (2009). Anti-cariogenic effects of polyphenols from plant stimulant beverages (cocoa, coffee, tea) Fitoterapia, 80 (5), 255-262 DOI: 10.1016/j.fitote.2009.04.006

9 Responses to “Chocolate Saves Your Teeth”

1. [...] Go to Publisher to continue reading [...]

2. Science Report » Blog Archive » Chocolate Saves Your Teeth on September 15th, 2009 at 8:47 am
  3. [...] the original: Chocolate Saves Your Teeth | Dr Shock MD PhD By admin | category: coffee tea | tags: are-relatively, backpacker-magazine, clipart, [...]

4. Chocolate Saves Your Teeth | Dr Shock MD PhD China Best Tea on September 15th, 2009 at 2:45 pm
  5. are we talking about dark chocolate?! I’ve heard darker chocolate is better for you.

6. Bella on September 16th, 2009 at 4:24 am
  7. Dark chocolate contains more polyphenolen so is much better. Kind regards Dr Shock

8. Dr Shock on September 16th, 2009 at 9:26 pm
  9. Well its seems its really true. I saw some “chocolate” bubblegum some day at a drugstore, and I couldn’t believe that those chocolate gums could really help in oral health. Jeje I might taste them maybe they are useful. Its really interesting how new forms of health care are being developed like “healthy bublegum”. Thanks Dr. Shock.

10. Symposier on September 20th, 2009 at 3:09 am
  11. [...] bias towards chocolate in favor of “good” results.  Last week he claimed that  Chocolate Saves Your Teeth, but his current submission is about the strong reverse association between (one year) chocolate [...]

12. Grand Rounds Vol. 6 No. 2 « Laika’s MedLibLog on September 29th, 2009 at 11:02 pm
  13. I think, thats could be happend if chocolate incorporated into beverages for children. But how chocolate taste if more pholyphenolen or without sugar?

14. Susi on October 12th, 2009 at 4:00 am
  15. I love chocolates!…Yes, I heard dark chocolates are healthier to eat,that it’s good for our hearts.For me, so long as those are chocolates doesn’t matter, all are yummy!

16. Cincinnati Dentist on October 27th, 2009 at 3:10 am
  17. As a dark chocolate fan, the thought of chocolate toothpaste is a actually a bit horrifying and sadly, the image above did not bring chocolate to mind… That said, if polyphenols are exhibiting this antibacterial effects, then their use in toothpastes and gums would be quite beneficial if their duration of effectiveness in the mouth is more than fleeting.

18. Wellescent Health Blog on May 9th, 2010 at 10:01 pm