Read It Later

Walter van den Broek
March 3, 2010

I was a great fan of Google Notebook but Google decided to drop the development of Google Notebook. I used it mostly for blogging. It’s integration with Firefox made it an easy to use tool for saving links, web pages and blogposts. At the beginning of the previous year I decided to give Evernote a try and I was very satisfied with this capture tool. You can sync your evernotes with all your devices, even with the iphone. It’s integration with Firefox is smooth.

Recently found a better alternative reducing the time to save links etc. with another click less and as such more comparable to Google Notebook: Read It Later. It’s faster than Evernote, because especially in Windows Evernote has to start up, you have to approve each note and tag it if wanted. Read it later is also an onlineservice but you can also save your notes directly in your browser, add ons are available for all the major browser platforms. You can also read it on any device such as iphone. Articles are saved text-only or with images, and formatted for easy reading. You can also read your notes off line.

Read It Later Digest as shown in this video below, analyzes all of the articles in your list and automatically groups them into topics. Simply put, it is like having folders in your list, but Read It Later takes care of sorting them for you.

Makes saving web pages, links and posts a breeze.

Thanks Lifehacking.nl

6 Responses to “Read It Later”

1. Cool! I might check this out. Sounds very useful. Wait … I already need it to remind me to come back to this post later!

2. Leigh Ann Otte--TheDoctorWriter on March 4th, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  3. Hope it will help, take care ;)

4. Dr Shock on March 5th, 2010 at 7:22 pm
  5. [...] Dr. Shock’s post Read It Later, he discusses using the product Read It Later as a better alternative to Evernote and Google [...]

6. Medlib Blog Carnival « Krafty Librarian on March 8th, 2010 at 12:34 pm
  7. Thanks for this suggestion. I tried Evernote as well, but found it too labor-intensive to used. Plus I don’t like the previews, that are hard to recognize if you have many.

I loved Google Notebook, because it was so simple. It was a mere list (ok that had to be tagged), it was easy to search and folders could be made public (and automatically tweeted) or kept private. I used Google Notebook more 1. as a source to send new links to Twitter 2. as an box of ideas for my blog. Not so much ‘to read it later’.

Can you easily do this with read later as well: searching, selective tweeting and incorporating links in blogs?

8. Jacqueline on March 9th, 2010 at 11:27 am
  9. Nope, you can filter by url, tag or title but you can’t integrate it with twitter. But from Firefox a lot of plug ins can do that for you even from within google reader.

10. Dr Shock on March 9th, 2010 at 2:46 pm
  11. Amazing article! I was searching for something entirely different when I came across your site. I really enjoyed the thought you put into this writting. i will bookmark to return later.

12. Mapex Drums on May 22nd, 2010 at 2:17 am

2. Leigh Ann Otte--TheDoctorWriter on March 4th, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  3. Hope it will help, take care ;)

4. Dr Shock on March 5th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

6. Medlib Blog Carnival « Krafty Librarian on March 8th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

8. Jacqueline on March 9th, 2010 at 11:27 am

10. Dr Shock on March 9th, 2010 at 2:46 pm

12. Mapex Drums on May 22nd, 2010 at 2:17 am

2. Leigh Ann Otte--TheDoctorWriter on March 4th, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  3. Hope it will help, take care ;)

4. Dr Shock on March 5th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

6. Medlib Blog Carnival « Krafty Librarian on March 8th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

8. Jacqueline on March 9th, 2010 at 11:27 am

10. Dr Shock on March 9th, 2010 at 2:46 pm

12. Mapex Drums on May 22nd, 2010 at 2:17 am

2. Leigh Ann Otte--TheDoctorWriter on March 4th, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  3. Hope it will help, take care ;)

4. Dr Shock on March 5th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

6. Medlib Blog Carnival « Krafty Librarian on March 8th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

8. Jacqueline on March 9th, 2010 at 11:27 am

10. Dr Shock on March 9th, 2010 at 2:46 pm

12. Mapex Drums on May 22nd, 2010 at 2:17 am

2. Leigh Ann Otte--TheDoctorWriter on March 4th, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  3. Hope it will help, take care ;)

4. Dr Shock on March 5th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

6. Medlib Blog Carnival « Krafty Librarian on March 8th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

8. Jacqueline on March 9th, 2010 at 11:27 am

10. Dr Shock on March 9th, 2010 at 2:46 pm

12. Mapex Drums on May 22nd, 2010 at 2:17 am

2. Leigh Ann Otte--TheDoctorWriter on March 4th, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  3. Hope it will help, take care ;)

4. Dr Shock on March 5th, 2010 at 7:22 pm