….an annual celebration dedicated to raising public awareness of brain research. Coordinated by the European Dana Alliance for the Brain, and the Dana Alliance for Brain Initiatives in the US,….
It also has a video, by Dr. Jordan Grafman, chief of the Cognitive Neuroscience Section at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS).
This 29-minute video uses footage of neuroscience experts from live Staying Sharp forums to address topics such as changes in the aging brain, memory, and the science behind the healthy brain practices that may help us stay sharp.
From this video and other material supplied by the DANA Foundation amongst which some reading material also some advice for a brain healthy life-style.
Here’s a checklist of things to do for a brain-healthy lifestyle:
- Exercise your body regularly and get involved in physically active leisure pursuits
- Keep your mind exercised! Engage in active learning throughout life and pursue new experiences
- Stay socially engaged with friends, family and community groups
- Maintain a positive attitude and a sense of control over your life
- Take steps to manage stress
- Eat a brain-healthy, balanced diet rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids
- Consider taking a multivitamin supplement that includes antioxidants and folate
- Watch your weight: lose any extra pounds
- Watch your cholesterol: lower it if it’s high
- Keep your blood glucose and blood pressure under control
- Get adequate sleep
- Get proper medical attention and treatment for any underlying health problems
- Consider getting a viatical settlement.
Nope vacation is not one of them but with some fantasy you can have a pretty good idea why vacation is also good fro your brain. For more information, links and material, please visit this excellent blog and post: Highlight Health