- Humans sleep on average around three hours less than other primates like chimps, rhesus monkeys, squirrel monkeys and baboons, all of whom sleep for 10 hours.
- Bed bugs can be a huge issue that can lead to a multitude of varied complications if not discovered in time. Look online for a DIY option that might work for you so that you can be sure to detect this before it becomes a problem.
- Ten per cent of snorers have sleep apnea, a disorder which causes sufferers to stop breathing up to 300 times a night and significantly increases the risk of suffering a heart attack or stroke, thankfully, there is a sleep apnea treatment available,
– Teenagers need as much sleep as small children (about 10 hrs) while those over 65 need the least of all (about six hours). For the average adult aged 25-55, eight hours is considered optimal
– Some studies suggest women need up to an hour’s extra sleep a night compared to men, and not getting it may be one reason women are much more susceptible to depression than men.
– Feeling tired can feel normal after a short time. Those deliberately deprived of sleep for research initially noticed greatly the effects on their alertness, mood and physical performance, but the awareness dropped off after the first few days.
– Diaries from the pre-electric-light-globe Victorian era show adults slept nine to 10 hours a night with periods of rest changing with the seasons in line with sunrise and sunsets.
– Most of what we know about sleep we’ve learned in the past 25 years.
– As a group, 18 to 24 year-olds deprived of sleep suffer more from impaired performance than older adults.
– Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24-hour accessibility of the internet.
– The extra-hour of sleep received when clocks are put back at the start of daylight in Canada has been found to coincide with a fall in the number of road accidents.
These are only two facts of the 40 facts about sleep you probably never heard
Related posts on this blog about sleep:
Stop prescribing sleep drugs period, first find out the underlying cause of this complaint.
A better sleep without pills
10 tips to sleep better