- Relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, progressive relaxation, and guided imagery help in improving the quality of sleep.
- Behavior therapy includes cognitive therapy, stimulus control, and sleep hygiene, which helps in improving sleep.Of these I think sleep hygiene is the most important:Maintaining sleep routine, that is sleep and wake up times should be same every day, engaging in regular exercise workout, avoiding naps in daytime, preventing nicotine and caffeine 3 to 4 hours before bed time and keeping worries out of your bedroom before going to sleep are necessary for getting quality sleep.
- Exercise, a sleep aid, not only helps you to sleep better but it also helps you to be alert and effective during day. You shouldn’t exercise before you go to sleep. Before going to sleep do relaxation techniques
- Hot bath is one of the sleep aids that relax your body. It raises your body temperature, which helps in getting sleep. It is another way to relax. The water shouldn’t be to hot.
- Diet to promote sleep. No caffeine of alcohol before bed time. Sleep inducing foods are: milk, oatmeal, bananas, almonds and turkey, most of them rich in trypthophan. Don’t eat to much, this will keep you awake.
- Bright light in the morning to set your internalclock.
From an excellent website about Sleep Disorders
Related posts on this blog:
Better sleep without pills